Whether you are planning a move to Norway, just arrived, or have lived here for years, we hope you will find something in these pages to help make your life easier and enable you to more fully enjoy the rich and varied experiences of living in Norway and Oslo, specifically.
These pages are intended to serve as a reference. We have tried to include answers to common questions and provide valuable resources. One thing you can count on is change, change, change! Everything from legal regulations, policies and practices, to website and e-mail addresses to phone and fax numbers. While every effort is made to keep these pages up to date, we still recommend that you call or e-mail ahead to ensure the information is still accurate. Let us know if you come across inaccurate information and we will update it immediately.
While living in Oslo can be exciting, intimidating, and even scary, Oslo has much to offer. We hope you will find your own special niche here and come to enjoy the uniqueness of Oslo -- maybe even someday call it "home."
The American Women's Club of Oslo assumes no liability for inaccurate information nor do we necessarily endorse any individual or business named in these pages.
- Banking: How to Use a Giro
- Conversion Tables (includes conversions for cooking, driving, clothing, length/area/weight, and currency)
- Consumer Rights
- Driving in Norway
- Public Transportation in Oslo
- Health Care in Norway
- Housing and Utilities
- Cooking and Grocery Shopping in Norway
- Alcohol in Norway
- Norwegian Food
- Out and About
- Restaurants in Oslo
- Shopping in Oslo
- "Harry tur" to Sweden
- Bringing Things over from the U.S.
- Gifts from Abroad
- Holidays: Norwegian and American
- Norwegian Language Instruction
- Social Norms
- Elections in Norway
- Citizenship Issues (Norwegian, American, and children)
- Permanent Residence in Norway
- US Citizen Income Tax and Financial Regulations
- STEP: Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (for U.S. citizens traveling to or living in another country)
- Absentee Voting for U.S. Citizens Abroad (State Department overview)
- Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) for Citizens Living Outside the U.S. (fvap.gov)
- Vote from Abroad
- Vote411.org Overseas Voter Information (by the League of Women Voters)
- Smart Voter Election Information (by the League of Women Voters)
- Overseas Voting (by the American Embassy in Oslo)
- Democrats Abroad Norway
- Republicans Abroad Norway